Press "Enter" to skip to content
Consumer safety experts suggest that similar packaging could be to blame

Man Hospitalized After Accidentally Taking Anvil

FERRITE, PA – A local man was sent to the emergency room after mistakenly taking two Anvil tablets for a headache, instead of the Advil he intended to take.

“It’s an honest slip-up if you consider the labels,” said safety expert Wanda Hepia. “You reach into the cabinet and grab a familiar bottle, but it’s one that just looks similar.”

The man, who has not yet been identified, apparently ingested two pills of Anvil, which unlike Advil is not for headaches.

Consumers can be easily fooled by the appearance

“Advil is Ibuprofen, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that people take for pain like headaches or arthritis. It’s generally considered safe when taken as directed,” said Hepia. “But this gentleman did not do that.”

“For whatever reason, he took Anvil, which is not a drug at all. Anvil is a metalworking tool made of iron and is not meant for human consumption in any form.”

Hepia is referring to the alarming availability of Anvil not only in tablets, but also capsules and liquid.

“We have not been able to test Anvil liquid form, but it doesn’t sound good. If it’s molten iron like I suspect, we could have a health emergency on our hands.”

Hepia and other safety professionals are calling for the removal of all Anvil products from shelves nationwide.

“And presumably the makers of Advil will be going after them for infringement of some sort.”

The hospitalized man has been referred to a blacksmith and is expected to make a full recovery.